Home Forums FAQ Board "Searching preconfigured drive folders" (Win 7, 32-bit) never completes.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of bs27975 bs27975 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bs27975
    Participant

Just brought my new YRG home, plugged the usb into the laptop after having downloaded the yrg app, hit firmware update, and off she went. Very nice.

However, the "driver software installation" box still shows "Searching preconfigured driver folders…". It's been some time now, and the search is not stopping.

What is it looking for / what do I need to download or do for this process to be able to complete?

Anonymous

The YRG uses the standard MIDI class drivers that come with the OS. It should not need any drivers.Exit the updater and simply plug in the guitar to your USB port – it should load the standard windows drivers and you should see the YRG in the control panel. If not, please open a ticket on our support system

bs27975
    Participant
    Quote:
    The YRG uses the standard MIDI class drivers that come with the OS. It should not need any drivers.Exit the updater and simply plug in the guitar to your USB port – it should load the standard windows drivers and you should see the YRG in the control panel. If not, please open a ticket on our support system

Thanks.

"you should see the YRG in the control panel" – D'oh. Never thought to look there. Thanks. However, sadly, I do not see a YRG entry there – under what control panel entry should I be looking?

"The YRG uses the standard MIDI class drivers" – great, but what does that mean? i.e. I get what MIDI is, and that the YRG hardware is understood, but, e.g. I do not see it as a sound source to enable / unmute.

What am I missing (that someone familiar with PC audio software would already know.)?

kencanvey
    Participant

Hi
    and welcome to the fun world of YRG  ;D

I had the same probs in win 7 and I found I had to go into hardware manager find the !!you rock guitar !! entry with the question mark and manually choose the "USB audio driver" as the driver and all worked well.

make sure your YRG is plugged into a usb port and turned on then you can install the driver manually if you need to.

Thats found in control panel – hardware and sound – device manager – looking down the list you should see an entry for !!you rock guitar!! with a question mark, right mouse click on this entry choose "update driver software" then "browse my computer for driver software" and then you need to choose "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" then go down to "sound, video and gamecontrollers" choose "next" let the list load could take a few secs, then at the top of the list you will see "(generic usb audio)" in the left panel and "usb audio device" in the right panel choose this driver then click "next" don't worry if it throws up a warning about installing it its ok, just continue and it should be OK.

Hope that helps mate  ;)

EDIT : just rereading your post again and I see that you may be thinking that the usb on the YRG is a sound source, its not, the usb is to allow the YRG to control a software recording studio program like FL Studio or Cakewalk etc also the YRG can be used as a controller for VST software synths, the yrg can also be played by the software studio using midi data that has been recorded.
    The only audio you will hear from the YRG would be from the audio outputs for headphones or amp NOT usb.

If you need to know more let me know!!  ;)

bs27975
    Participant
    Quote:
    I had the same probs in win 7 and I found I had to go into hardware manager find the !!you rock guitar !! entry with the question mark and manually choose the "USB audio driver" as the driver and all worked well.

Thanks very much, I didn't find things as/where you described, but I knew what you meant – you're saying Win 7 must use the built in USB Audio Device Drivers rather than the automatically detected / loaded YRG drivers. I'll speculate that this changes Win 7's understanding of the device from being a midi device into a plain old generic usb audio device.

Sadly, this did not work for me. It's already set to 'USB audio device', which is what I suspect you meant, instead of 'usb audio driver'. And … see below.

In my case:
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Device Manager:
    - either control panel / device manager, or the way I usually do it, habit,
    - right-click my computer, properties, device manager (top left, under 'control panel home')
    Sound, video and game controllers
    iii You Rock Guitar V0.00
    right-click it, properties
    - under Details you'll notice Device description / 'USB Audio Device'
    - under driver, update driver
    Browse my computer  for driver software
    Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    Show compatible hardware – untick
    (Generic USB Audio) / USB Audio Device is already selected
    Next
    Close
    USB Audio Device now appears instead of iii You Rock Guitar

And it still doesn't work. Nothing shows up in Volume Mixer as an input source.
    - unmuting microphone and picking a string sounds nothing.

To get back:
    Device Manager
    - find the now present USB Audio Device
    Click it.
    Press Del
    OK
    [Optional, happened automatically in my case: Right-click your computer name at the top of the list in device manager, click Scan for hardware changes.]
    - YRG is re-detected and it shows up again under Sound, video and game controllers.

Could someone do me a favour please:
    In device manager, go to the YRG. Alt-Enter for properties.
    - driver tab (along top),

(a) What do you see at the top. In my case:
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Date: 07/13/2009
    Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

(b) Click Driver Details, what do you see. In my case, the driver files are, all under system32:
    driversdrmk.sys
    driversportcls.sys
    driversusbaudio.sys
    sysfxui.dll
    wmalfxgfxdsp.dll

Also, could someone PLEASE confirm:
    - connecting YRG via USB, under Win 7, play and sound should be heard. WITHOUT additional software. (This is one of the things I'm unsure of.)
    - right-clicking the speaker and choosing volume mixer: YRG should appear as an input source? (Another thing I'm unsure of.)

Thanks for any help or ideas.

bs27975
    Participant

NEVER MIND.

See: http://yourockguitar.com/forum/index.php?topic=497.msg2349#msg2349

No sound out of speakers via USB. Per above link.

MIDI data to the computer via usb, yes, but not (audio/usb) sound. See above link for the pursuit of that concept.

kencanvey
    Participant

AhhhhHaaa  ;D

Sorry if I added to your confusion there a bit, I thought that the usb driver had not been installed automatically, which is what happened to me.

We will get there in the end  ;D

bs27975
    Participant
    Quote:
    AhhhhHaaa  ;D

Sorry if I added to your confusion there a bit, I thought that the usb driver had not been installed automatically, which is what happened to me.

We will get there in the end  ;D

I suspect I didn't write

Quote:
    No sound out of speakers via USB. Per above link.

very well. I should have said: The YRG is not capable of (directly) producing sound out the computer speakers via USB. Per above link.

So, given the original answer (ignore the searching, cancel, and get on with your day), and this last – YRG does not act as a USB audio device (as mic in, with sound coming out the speakers, can), this thread is answered, and complete.

SVH

At first glance I was gonna use this as a great opportunity to gripe about Windows 7 as I recently has some serious technical issues after reinstalling the OS but I see this is more about plugging the YRG in via USB and getting sound. I could add my 2 cents but you guys nailed it and all seem to be on the same page now

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.